Not-for-profit Law
Legal help for community organisations


Please change your location to view this page.

This page contains content that does not match your current location

Insurance is an important consideration for not-for-profit groups. It is sometimes essential under the terms of a lease or a funding agreement, and is sometimes a choice for groups to consider.

There are many different kinds of insurance that address different kinds of risks. Common types of insurance include:

  • public liability
  • directors' and officers'
  • asset or contents insurance
  • event-specific insurance, and
  • volunteer protection.

The Not-for-profit Law Insurance and Risk Management for Community Organisations Guide for all Australian states and territories, provides detailed information on risk management strategies and different insurance products that can be used as part of a community organisation's risk management. 

Indemnity for office holders of incorporated associations

The Associations Incorporation Reform Act 2012, which came into effect on 26 November 2012, includes a new indemnity provision that requires every incorporated association to indemnify its office holders for liabilities they incur in good faith while performing their duties. The following fact sheet covers the issues that Victorian incorporated associations should consider including:

  • what is the indemnity? and who is an office holder? and does the indemnity mean we need to take out insurance?
  • the risk that indemnity creates and how to manage this risk, and
  • what happens if your organisation is required to make a payment to an office holder under the indemnity.

Last Updated: 22 August 2017

Managing data, privacy and business risks during COVID-19

Learn how your organisation can manage sensitive health information and cybersecurity risks during this time.